Saturday, July 21, 2012

Post Op

Pin It I had my surgery on July 18, 2012...3 days ago. I came home from the hospital yesterday afternoon.

This blog is from a personal perspective with my weight loss journey.

Here are a few stats:

Highest weight 293lbs
Weight Post op 277 lbs
Weight when I got home from surgery 274lbs.

I'm 29 years old, 5'6".

The day of surgery and the day after surgery I had really bad nausea and was vomiting. They finally gave me meds that helped with it. If I weren't vomiting, they were going to let me go home the day after surgery.

This is the first surgery I've had where I was put to sleep. (I've only had a c-section and was awake for that) I had no idea what to expect. I remember going into the surgery room, only a few minutes after meeting with my doctor again and his nurse, them having me move onto the surgical table, lay my arms out, and hearing rock & roll playing in the background, and the next thing I know the anesthesiologist is placing a mask on me telling me to take in 3 deep breaths of oxygen...and then BAM next thing I know I'm in recovery.

The first thing out of my mouth to the nurse was that the "anesthesiologist lied to me. It was not oxygen he was giving me!" haha I thought that was pretty funny. I think I caught the nurse off guard.

My stomach pain isn't too bad. It does get uncomfortable when trying to rest. I do find myself waking up every 2-3 hours overnight, and needing to get up and walk around for a minute.

As for food...it's really weird not eating! I finally drank an entire protein shake (over a 24hr period), a yogurt, and chicken broth. I'm very gassy but nothing really comes out...you just feel bubbles.

The only thing I'd really complain about is being so tired!! I joined a forum (verticalsleevetalk.com) and asked if anyone else felt like this, and the best way it was put is that it's like "jet lag" from the anesthesia. I should feel better about 7 days out post-op. I just want to start exercising again and getting this weight off!

Wish me luck!
Here is my "before" picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...